Monday, September 20, 2010

3.   The story about trying to get emergency replacement for someone who has lost her welfare. A person in the article is relating a story about someone she knows.  "To get an emergency replacement for my check, she says, "I needed to bring three letters to the welfare office--one from my doctor, one from the hospital, one from my social worker. "  The story goes on and on about not getting all the information, going back and forth between the hospital and the welfare agency, and then the agency saying that you have to go somewhere else to start all over again and somethings always wrong, you always need something else, etc.  Then the person says, "My doctor says, when it comes to he poor, they can't nothin' right".  Anyway, they got me runnin' uptown, downtown, to the hospital, to 34th Street, to the welfare, ...I've got no choice but I don't think I can  go through it anymore.  I feel like somebody beat me up."  Who has all the priviledge and the power in this scenario? 

It's now 12:45 in the morning.  Need to get some sleep. I will try to finish tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. It's crazy to hear what these people have to go through to get a little extra help.

    ReplyDelete