Sunday, September 19, 2010
1. "The Number 6 train from Manhattan to the South Bronx make nine tops in the 18-minute ride...When you enter the train, you are in the seventh richest congressional district in the nation. When you leave, you are in the poorest". What a dramatic opening paragraph. The article goes on about Mott Haven being an area in the Bronx that make up one of the largest racially segregated concentration of poor people in our nation. Two thirds are Hispanic and one-third black. Here the crime rate is staggering, 84 murders in one year, a place of drug dealers, drug addicts, AIDS, HIV positive, depression, fear, and anxiety are common in children, asthma is the most common illness in children, homes freezing in the winter, and in the humid summer roaches and rats crawling on every surface in the house. Shame on me for not wanting to know about these people and if I am not aware, do I want to be aware, and if I don't want to be aware, am I part of the problem? A little reminder from the article on "Priviledge, Power, and Difference".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment